Wednesday, October 21, 2009

I came across an email id which had a middle name as "x". Is this middle name some sort of security practice?

I met a guy from JP Morgan and i noticed his email id had his firstname.x.lastname@jpmorgan.com . When asked about the "X" in his account he said that this was some kind of security feature. Is it really so ? What kind of security feature is this ?

I came across an email id which had a middle name as "x". Is this middle name some sort of security practice?
In some cases, the 'x' is used to denote the lack of a middle name. For example, in my old school my form group was SXG as there was already a tutor SG. I have never heard of it being used as a security feature though.





However, if a random letter is assigned to each person, this means that a hacked cannot specifically target a person without knowing their exact email address. E.g. john.d.smith@jpmorgan.com instead of just john.smith@jpmorgan.com, means that a person can't just automatically guess an employee's email address.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive